Get to Know AfterGlobe: 25 Random Facts About Kimmy and Drew of AfterGlobe
March is a special month for us at AfterGlobe. Not only did we officially launch AfterGlobe on March 11, 2013, but March is also the month of both of our birthdays, and the month that we first met. We thought the perfect way to celebrate all of these big events in our lives was to share a little bit about ourselves that you might not already know. In an effort to get to know us better, here are 25 random facts about Kimmy and Drew of AfterGlobe.
1. We leave in a year to travel long term.
2. We take a picture of us kissing everywhere we visit.
3. Our birthdays are 7 days apart from each other.
4. Kimmy picked Drew up in a bar on Saint Patrick’s Day.
5. We became an official couple on 07/07/07. Keeping with the theme, we got married on 07/07, as well.
6. Kimmy HATES bananas. Seriously, loathes them. Never even lets them in the house. Won’t even kiss Drew if she knows he’s eaten one or thinks he smells like bananas. Yes, they really are that nasty.
7. Drew has the biggest sweet tooth of anyone you will ever meet.
8. Being big fans of Mid-Century Modern, we are currently restoring a 1960’s ranch home, we call Knotty Cakes Ranch. We plan on selling it before we leave to travel the world.
9. Drew has lived in Portland his whole life. He is more than ready to change that.
10. Kimmy has lived in California, Hawaii, and Oregon. In California she lived in Monte Rio, Jenner, Bodega Bay, Forestville, Sebastopol, Santa Rosa, and Petaluma. In Hawaii she lived on Maui, Kauai, and Oahu. In Oregon she lived in Salem and Portland.
11. We fell in-love at the music and art festival, Bumbershoot, in Seattle while drinking a bottle of Lodi Zinfandel we snuck in, eating chocolate covered figs, and watching The Frames perform.
12. Drew can’t get enough of Kimmy’s cooking.
13. Kimmy can’t get enough of Drew’s kisses.
14. When Drew was little he use to record himself on cassette tapes like he was a radio station. Kimmy did the same thing. Drew still has his tapes from doing this. Kimmy does not.
15. We are tikiphiles. We love tiki from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, Polynesion Pop, and Hawaiianan. We have a tiki bar in our basement. Drew makes us delicious tropical drinks created by Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber while Kimmy makes tidbits and pupus to accompany them.
16. We have 5 pets- 1 Chihuahua named ChiChi, a 28lb ginger cat named Cupcake, and three chickens named Oahu, Maui, and Molokai. We use to have a fourth chicken, Kauai, but she passed away last year. Leaving our animals when we travel next year is going to be extremely difficult for us.
17. We got engaged in the tiki bar, Tiki-Ti while on a trip to Los Angeles.
18. Whenever we notice that 11:11 comes up on the clock, we always tell the other, “11:11, I love you!”
19. We love Halloween and spend lots of time planning our Halloween couple costumes. Yes, we are already working on this year.
20. We got married in the little town of Paia on the island of Maui. A hurricane was happening in Costa Rica at that time that affected the weather in Hawaii. A huge storm came in the night before our wedding and it continued to pour all morning. When it was time to walk down the aisle, the rain stopped, the clouds parted, the sun came out and a huge rainbow appeared. It was so sunny when we were exchanged our vows we were pretty much blinded by the sunlight.
21. We love being in the water, swimming, and snorkeling.
22. Maui is our favorite place in the world.
23. Kimmy has never had a passport. She’s been out of the country, but it didn’t require having a passport.
24. Drew had a passport at one time that he used for a one month trip around Europe. It’s long been expired.
25. In May 2007, we took our first photos together in a photo booth at a Rose City Rollers roller derby after-party at Outlaws bar and grill. Ever since then, we’ve made sure to take photos together in every photo booth (that’s working) we come across.
Which one of these 25 random facts about Kimmy and Drew of AfterGlobe was your favorite?
All photography by Kimmy Hayes © 2014.